Now that the Data Protection Act 2018 is in force we have updated our subscription model. You can sign up to follow this blog by entering your email on the left. You can also withdraw your permission to receive our emails at any time by using the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of every email you receive from us.


Monday, 19 October 2015

Thursday, 1 October 2015

Joint Casualty & Compassionate Centre (JCCC)

When families experience incidents at home while loved ones are
serving overseas it is very important that everyone is aware of the
process in place that can facilitate their immediate return home.

This short Families Brief is to explain the role the Joint Casualty
and Compassionate Centre (JCCC) undertakes 24 hours a day,
7 days a week, 365 days a year to help families when incidents
occur involving Service Personnel or someone at home.

For further information contact:
Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre
Imjin Barracks
Tel: 01452 519951

Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Prince's Trust - The Co-Operative Charity Partner


Are you a Co-Operative store card holder or member? If so, you can help The Prince’s Trust become The Co-operative Group’s Charity Partner and enable them to reach and support 176,000 disadvantaged young people across the UK.

All you need to do is click here and cast your vote: www.co-operative.coop/vote

Thursday, 2 July 2015

Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Thursday, 14 May 2015

Stay Informed and Receive Daily St Athan HIVE Blog Email Alerts

Simply enter your email address on the top right hand corner of the screen

Thursday, 7 May 2015

MOD Police - Meet Your Community Police Officers'

Clarifying your housing concerns

Charges at move out
Currently, the new contract doesn’t tie in with the JSP (housing policy) and some families are getting very large potential bills given to them at the pre-move-out appointment.
If your carpets are over 10 years old or you haven’t had a redec in over four years, then if charges are raised, you are within your rights to challenge them.
The charges need to be raised in order to trigger the works order, however, the Accommodation Officer (AO) will now make you aware that you will be able to challenge them; write “charges disputed” on your move-out paperwork and then, when the bill arrives, follow the instructions for disputing the charge.
It is very important that you are given paperwork at your move-in, move-out and pre-move-out appointments; make sure that you sign every page and keep a copy of these along with a copy of your 14-day report, as this is your insurance against charges at move-out.
Pre-move-out appointments not following the correct process
Some families have reported that the AO has simply handed over advice sheets and not walked around the house. CA confirmed at the meeting that the AO should walk round the house with you, room by room, and list everything which needs to be done in order for the SFA to pass at move-out.
Details of this, along with a list of potential charges, will be left with you. If you have had a pre-move-out and didn’t walk round the house with the AO, or weren’t left with a list of jobs/charges, please contact your UWO to arrange another appointment.
Carpet charges
If a stain on a carpet can’t be removed by cleaning, or a burn is too big to be repaired, then the carpet will be replaced on move-out at a charge to families of £26 per square metre.
For those families in Catterick who wish to organise a carpet repair (or replacement) themselves, the company which must be used to ensure the correct carpet/match is used is called Hudspeths – the AO will have their details, or ask your UWO.
Find out more, wherever you are
No matter where you are in the UK, if you have any issues with your move-in, pre-move-out or move-out appointments, including any charges brought, please contact your UWO.

Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Thursday, 30 April 2015

MOD Police - Holiday Fraud

Double click to enlarge

Friday, 24 April 2015

Contacting Carillion Amey from a mobile

Calls to the Carillion Amey Helpdesk 0800 number from a mobile will incur a cost.  Please use the direct line number provided.  This goes to the same option number so is no different to the 0800 one, but will be included in talk time plans, or may cost less when calling from abroad.

The number is 0151 728 1630

Thursday, 23 April 2015

Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Monday, 20 April 2015

Important Information for Service Voters


Earlier this year, as part of the move to Individual Electoral Registration (IER), a new system of online registration was introduced. This means that if you're based in the UK and unlikely to change address or be posted overseas in the next few months, you can register to vote online at

There's also an option to register as a 'Service Voter'. This allows you to be registered for five years at a fixed address in England, Scotland or Wales even if you move around. This is particularly handy if you are already based overseas or think that you may be posted abroad in the next few months. If you're part of a Service family - your husband, wife or civil partner can also register as a 'Service Voter'.

This can all be done at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote-armed-forces.